Banner

Orchard Girls

Friday, July 19, 2013

Create A Finance Binder + FREE Spreadsheets

Hey everyone! It's FRIDAY! Can I get a HOORAY?! It's been a long week.

So, I was inspired by Kayla's post on making a bill payment station. I, too, pay all of our bills. Until now, I've been solely using spreadsheets on my computer. Every month I would open up my spreadsheet and use it to pay the bills. But then I was thinking, what if we lost that spreadsheet? What if our computer crashed and we lost all of that information? It. would. be. bad. I decided to print them all out and put them into a binder so we would also have a hard copy. I also decided to make you guys some fully downloadable, editable, and printable versions of the spreadsheets I use!
First, I had to go out and get a binder. Is anyone else surprised by the prices on these things? I did NOT want to spend 8 dollars on a binder. I ended up finding this awesome bundle at Target! They just put them out with the school supplies. Go pick up one (or several) before they're gone!
I made a cover page for the binder that you can also use. Here is the free printable (shown in the first picture). (*Edit* I've made a new cover for 2014, get it by clicking here!)

Now, onto what's inside the binder.
Tab 1: Bill payments. I use this spreadsheet for reference when paying bills. It has the name of the bill, when it is due, notes on the payment (like how it's paid), and a box I check after it has been paid for that month. The version of the spreadsheet I have made for you all is through Google Docs. You can download it as an excel file, and then edit it however you please. I've put some examples in each spreadsheet to help clarify where things go. There are formulas built in the spreadsheet for you, as well.
You MUST download and save the spreadsheet to edit!
Tab 2: Extras. Here is where I record all other purchases- like groceries, gas, and random trips to target or dinner/movie. This spreadsheet helps me keep track of the money we have leftover after we pay our bills.
Tab 3: Debt payoff. We are in the process of paying off our debt. College is expensive, despite what admissions counselors tell you! Every month I like to go in and update the amounts we owe on certain things. It feels good to see those numbers going down, and it can help you get a better idea of when certain things will be paid off.
Tab 4: Notes. I keep some notebook paper here for quick note taking or doing some math.
Tab 5: Statements. I keep statements we get in the mail here. Sometimes we get those random bills we need to pay that aren't on the spreadsheet. This helps me not lose them in a pile of other mail!
Pocket Pouch: Voided checks. We deposit our paychecks at home, and I feel like I need to hold onto those checks for a while, just in case. You never know, right?
Pocket Pouch 2: Receipts. If I remember, I stuff all of my receipts in here after recording them on my "extras" spreadsheet.
Things I still want to get: A little pencil pouch that holds things like- stamps, envelopes, checks, post-its & flags, pens & pencils, and a small calculator.

And there you have it! I hope I didn't bore you all to tears. I am a pretty organized/detail-oriented person, and having these spreadsheets really helps me from obsessing/freaking out every time I go to pay the bills. Maybe they will help you, too.

I keep this binder with my Home Binder. I mentioned it in my How to Start Menu Planning post. It's so nice to have everything that is on paper and important put away and organized.
I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. Anyone have any awesome plans? My Dad is coming to stay with us for a few nights, and I am SO excited.

Happy organizing!
Check out the linky parties we link to HERE!

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Danyale. Thanks for stopping by, we will come check out your blog.
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea. Even though it's not pleasant to think about, things like this really help if someone passes away. We have had several deaths in our family and it's so difficult to figure out what bills are due and when. Having a list is such a help!

    Nicole
    Hold the Office

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I agree that it isn't a pleasant thought, but we have had that conversation before. We decided to organize it before my husband was deployed- because you just never know. Thank you for stopping by and for commenting. I'm so very sorry about the losses in your family, and I hope you are all well.
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We, and by we I mean my husband, has a very detailed finance thing going on for our family. i'm honestly not sure what program he uses, but it is terrific. We save every receipt, bill, and paycheck stub. On Mondays we sort and input everything. Then my husband makes sure our spreadsheet matches with both bank accounts. We know where every time is spent each month. The program even makes up a pie chart (which I love). I wold prefer the pen and pencil but the hubs is a software engineer... so that isn't going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aleks, that sounds like quite the plan! How lucky you are to have a hubby so invested in figuring out your finances! I've thought about switching to a more detailed program/software. I use quickbooks for work, and somehow I don't want to use it at home, too? Something about separation of work and personal life? Not sure, lol. I absolutely LOVE Excel, and it has been working for me so far. Definitely a step up from pen and paper, but not too crazy--I know I can make a pie chart with it, too. :) Thanks for stopping by!
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all this information!! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome, Linda! Thanks for the comment and for stopping by.
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, ms composure! We appreciate it.
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a lifesaver. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont know how I found your blog, but Im happy I did. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is great but it is in READ ONLY so I can not really use it.....................so sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have all just been changed to public - anyone can "edit". Please try again, and let us know if you have any other issues! Have a wonderful weekend.
      -Kayla

      Delete

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...