Banner

Orchard Girls

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

WWEW: Autumn Apple Pork Roast

Welcome back to What We Eat Wednesday! I made this pork roast for dinner last week, and it was so delicious that I made it again this week to post for you guys. It combines a lot of flavors that make it taste like cozy fall comfort food. Does that make sense? I hope it does! 

I apologize for the lack of photos. I started making the dinner, and realized by battery was dead. It was too late to turn back, so I just got one before photo & one after! 

First off, I found this recipe via The Pioneer Woman. She has a lot of beautiful pictures that better show the end result! I've adapted it to our taste- mainly leaving out the caramelized onions, and adding a couple more spices. 

Here are the ingredients I used:
-1 pork sirloin tip roast
-2 Tbs olive oil
-salt & pepper
-3 cups apple juice (or cider!)
-1 cup beef broth
-3-4 apples, cut in wedges (I used Braeburn) Pioneer Woman used Honeycrisp, but in my personal opinion, Honeycrisp apples don't do that well when used in cooking or baking. They lose their texture easily because they are so full of water. Also, they are so expensive! That being said, they are one of the BEST eating apples, and are delicious in salads :)
-2 bay leaves
-1 Tbs onion flakes
-1 tsp caraway seeds
-1/4 tsp thyme
And here is what I did:
1. Pour the olive oil into a dutch oven, or large pot, and heat to medium heat. Sprinkle salt & pepper on all sides of the roast. Once the pot is hot, brown all sides of the roast.
2. Add the apple juice, beef broth, apples, and seasonings to the pot. Turn heat to low, cover and let cook for about 3 hours- kindof depends on the size of the roast.
3. Once the meat is done, remove meat and apples from liquid in the pot. Turn heat to high and let liquid boil/reduce. Once the sauce has thickened, pour it onto the pork roast and apples. This part is really important- it adds SO much flavor and moisture.
4. All done! 
That's a Honeycrisp apple in the above picture. I picked it from one of the trees by our house, and just had to bite into it after it's little photo session. So juicy and sweet! A perfect dessert :)
Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you give this recipe a try.
Have a great Wednesday,
Check out the parties we link to by visiting our Link Party Directory

5 comments:

  1. This is so good. Try stemming celery root and parsnips while reducing the sauce. They really soak up the flavors. About the only time celery root is yummy. For me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really great idea! I will definitely try that next time :)
      -Kenzie

      Delete
  2. This is a classic and one of my favorite combinations of pork and apples!!! This is apple season here in Mi so I can understand just picking the apples from your tree! great way to prepare dinner! Thank You so much for sharing it at the Fluster Buster party. Join us again next week with more of your creations, Lizy party co host!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lizy! We love sharing at the Fluster Buster Party :)
      -Kenzie

      Delete

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...